February 16

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

We recently finished reading The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba & Bryan Mealer.  We recommend reading the memoir before watching the movie.  Students annotated throughout the reading of this memoir.  They were asked to identify elements of the story, theme, and explain the importance of the chosen quotes.  I would like to showcase some of their work below.

“If you want to make it, all you have to do is try,” (Kamkwamba & Mealer 278). I chose this quote because it shows just how much of a genius William is and how much he has matured over the course of his life.

Scan the QR code to see Samantha’s artwork.

You can also access her artwork for the quote by clicking William’s Quote

“At this point, I didn’t know much about science, or that doing science could be a job. But I was becoming more and more curious about how things worked,” (Kamkwanba & Mealer 50). This is important to the story because this is the point when he realizes he wants to be a scientist.

Click on the following link to view another piece of digital art by Teagan that depicts the Theme of the book.

Posted February 16, 2021 by rdarden in category 100 Word Challenge, Authors Spotlight, Book Reviews, Featured Writers, Mrs.Darden Thinking, Project Based Learning and Agile, Student Column, Uncategorized

About the Author

An educator since 2001 and plan to retire as a teacher. Follow on Twitter @teacherdarden.