December 5

Creative Writing in 7th Grade

After reading, “The Red Button” by Kristin Lewis in the Scholastic Scope magazine, students were inspired to write a prequel or sequel to the story. We worked in pairs to write the stories and shared them in class. Then, we voted on our favorites to be published on our class blog page. We hope you enjoy our creative stories!

Prequel for “The Red Button” by Roan and Brock

Today is the day. The day I set up the test. The test to see who will press the button. I made this harmless button that does absolutely nothing in my secret laboratory behind the fair. Then when it was time I went looking. Where should I put this button? Then I found it. It was big and beautiful. It was a giant crate. I placed the button on the crate. I then put a trail of gum on an old path so people would follow it. Then I left.

You may be wondering why? Why do this test? Well, every few hours I have this thing called short term memory loss. Meaning I forget all about what happened before. So I am testing to see will I press it? I have set up a camera to review my test. So if you are reading this let me know did you press it Stephen?  Did you?

– Sincerely,  Stephen 

The Red Button Sequel by Liv and Lily G. 

Stephen couldn’t seem to stop himself. His feet shifted, and he couldn’t seem to stop himself from moving closer and closer to the button. What would happen? Would it explode? Would nothing happen? Was this a test set up by his grandma because he could stay out of her cookie jar? Why was there a random button tempting him to press it? Stephen found himself reaching toward the button. His fingers were above it when someone came up behind him and bumped into him.

Stephen slipped and pressed the button. The ground beneath him started to shake. Other people didn’t seem to notice what was happening. The ground began to split. He couldn’t believe his eyes. What in the world was happening? This is the end of the world. Stephen started to run, but the ground finally caught up to him. He fell into the void. In an instant, he woke up and realized it was just a nightmare, a very realistic nightmare. Then only realized it wasn’t a nightmare and he had ended the world and fallen into a void and into another dimension. “Snewmens”, the world of the forbidden and forgotten Christmas.  

Sequel to “The Red Button” by Max and Nico

Bang! The door slammed and the security guard rushed in he screamed don’t touch the button. But the button had put him into some sort of state in which he couldn’t hear him. Stephen said, “I don’t care anymore, I don’t care about being better than Kakarot. I don’t care about being a super Saiyan. I don’t care if I live. I don’t care about anything. Then it happened, he touched the button and became a Super Saiyan.

Then he took over the world with his superpowers and united the continents. There was no more world hunger. It took time but everyone got used to it. He became the richest and most powerful man in the universe. But there was something missing, he needed a rival then he heard the song, “John Cena Bing Chilling”. Then John Cena and Stephen had a battle. They had a gruesome battle but Stephen was no match. John Cena Bing was chilling and he was able to concur the universe.

The Big Red Button Sequel by Nicole and Ava

After Stephen presses the red button he falls into a cave. He saw Mason Thames and Cesar Mendoza in the cave. Moments later, thousands of rats start biting his ankles and one of them was carrying a disease. Stephen starts to feel dizzy and falls into Mason’s and Cesar’s arms gracefully, and realized he was hallucinating. 

When he realized that he was hallucinating, four big guys come and carry him away to a secret room. In that room, there were 574 monkeys dancing in a circle singing ring-around-the-rosy. The monkeys then scratched his face and became blind. JJ appeared in the same room that Stephen was in and gave him a secret potion. When Stephen drank the potion, it fixed his eyes and he could then see. Unfortunately, he dies due to an infection from the rats.

Posted December 5, 2022 by rdarden in category Authors Spotlight

About the Author

An educator since 2001 and plan to retire as a teacher. Follow on Twitter @teacherdarden.